Saturday, November 25, 2006

When Children Attack

The Hurricane drew blood the other day. I should have seen it coming but portions of it I couldn't fully appreciate at the time. You see we took Hadley to Toys-R-Us the other day for the first time. I did expect a minor fit at some point in the store but what ended up happening was way beyond anything I had seen before.

When we first arrived Haddie gave me the "why didn't you tell me this place existed d" look. For the first 20 minutes she was really quite good and had lots of fun playing. Then she discovered the Thomas the Train set. She has only ever seen one Thomas episode but she has seen it at least a dozen times. She was having lots of fun moving the trains around and after about 10 minutes I gave her a two minute warning. After two minutes I said it was time ago and then the full force of the Hurricane hit. She literally drew blood. In her own little way she told me that I was going to have to drag her cold dead body out of the store before she would go.

After some difficulty I got her out of the store doors so I set her down. She immediately darted back into the store at full speed. Realizing she wasn't going to get away from me she threw herself on the floor and went into a defensive position that only a ninja warrior would know.

The store manager, he deserves a BIG raise, went into action. This lady was an artist of the highest magnitude. Immediately she went to Haddie, took her straight to the front counter where another employee was already filling a green ballon, had the balloon tied on Haddie's wrist before she knew it and had her out the store door. I figure it must have been part of employee training because they had this down to a science. The nice lady walked Haddie all the way out to our car and was as kind as any employee I've ever seen.

Moral of the story: don't go to Toys-R-Us with the kids, but if you do call the store manager beforehand.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how a little balloon tied to a child's wrist can diffuse a bloody situation just like that! I bet that wasn't a store manager but an angel!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The manager knows you'll be baaacccckkkk.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you a happy birthday.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I think that they must spray some sort of addictive substance around that train set because that is how we ended up getting one of our own.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home